Hello There, Guest!

Welcome to the new MyTechLiving Forums! Have a look around, and join in with the fun!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuring a Cisco Router (3825)
MyTechLiving
Administrator

Apr 2017
After about a year of using my server as a PFSense box I have finally purchased a proper router. My server, at any given time, was handling DHCP, DNS, IPS and IDS for my house, along with being a dedicated Firewall. Unfortunately, at it's worst, the CPU usage was at 4%, and the Ram was even worse at a staggering 2%... Needless to say my server was being under utilized and has much more potential. Currently, at work, I am configuring two 1941 routers; This got me thinking about getting my own and setting it up. The search on eBay started and I soon realized how cheep second hand Cisco networking equipment is. Now, don't get me wrong, I have looked in the past, but the prices never seemed this good. I decided on getting a 3825 Router. The price was right being below $50 and the performance is WAY overkill for what I want to use it for. Now we're only left with configuring it. 

The configuration of this is done through the Console/Serial port and some sort of terminal emulator. For my purposes I use Putty; I also use a Serial to USB converter to connect to my computer. I have created a video documenting the entire configuration

A few commands that will come in handy when configuring things through Cisco IOS:

enable which can be shortened to "en" enables the router and logs you into a usable state.

configure Terminal which can be shortened to "config t" logs you into the configuration mode used to make actual changes to the IOS device.

interface, or shortened to "int" followed by the interface name allows you to edit the interfaces properties.

FastEthernet or GigabitEthernet, or shortened to F or G (F0/0 or G0/0 would be refering to FastEthernet0/0 or GigabitEthernet0/0).

show running configuration, or shortened to "sho run" will show the current running configuration.

show version, or shortened to "sho ver" will show the version or ios and the router information that you are running.

write memorywrwrite memcopy running-config startup-configcopy run start - All of these do the same thing and copy the running configuration(the config stored in the ram) into the non volatile memory. If power is lost before running one of these commands, the configuration will be lost and will need to be started over again from scratch.

show interface, or sho int will show the status of the interfaces. Specific interfaces can be specified after this as well. Example: sho int g0/0.

show inventory, or sho inv will show all of the installed Hardware modules and extensions.

I hope I was able to help out at least a little bit.